Monday, September 14, 2015

My Natural Hair Necessities: Coconut Oil

I've decided that I want to start a new series on my blog, where I write about some of my hair care favorites. The product I want to highlight first is coconut oil. I love coconut oil because it leaves my hair shiny and moisturized the entire day. This is because coconut oil is rich in carbohydrates which soaks into the hair shaft much easier than any other product. Coconut oil has a high moisture retaining capacity, since it is not easily broken down nor evaporated, being very stable. It does not let moisture escape, thus keeping hair moist and soft, which prevents breakage of hair. So, if you have dry hair coconut oil can be effective in taking care of that!

The use of coconut oil on hair helps to reduce protein loss in both damaged as well as undamaged hair. Coconut oil rich in lauric acid, has a high affinity for hair protein, and easily penetrates inside the hair shaft, which is due to its low molecular weight. It can be used for pre-wash or post-wash hair grooming.
Coconut oil is a better conditioner for hair than any synthetic one available in the market. Use of warm coconut oil helps in keeping hair shimmering and soft. Apply some warm oil at night and wash your hair the next morning. This can be repeated every few days for healthy, strong and conditioned hair.

 Coconut oil can be a good styling oil for hair as well, because it melts when heated and then condenses when cooled. Therefore, when you apply it on your hair, it thins and spreads evenly due to the heat of the scalp. Soon afterwards, as the hair comes in contact with air, the oil on the hair condenses, thus working as a styling gel or cream.

My personal favorite is the Trader Joe's Organic olive oil, because it is the most natural. As you can see, there are many uses for coconut oil, which is cost effective. I love the way that it makes my hair look and feel, so this product is definitely a staple for me!

(Facts derived from: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/coconut-oil-for-hair.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams